Courtney is admitted to practice in the state courts of South Dakota and the United States Federal Court, District of South Dakota, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit. Courtney earned his Juris Doctorate in 1989 from the University of South Dakota and has been practicing in a variety areas of law for over twenty years. Courtney has extensive experience in insurance defense, commercial litigation, banking and real estate law, construction law, contract interpretation, as well as expertise in trusts and estates. State Farm Insurance Companies, Liberty Mutual Insurance Companies, Safeco Insurance Company, the Rapid City Fraternal Order of Police and our very own Black Hills Community Bank in Rapid City, South Dakota are among Courtney’s corporate clients.
Courtney is a member of the Pennington County Bar, American Bar Association, State Bar of South Dakota, South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, the Defense Research Institute, and is a Certified Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
In addition to his law practice, Courtney is the President of Arrowhead Country Club, a member of the Board of Directors of Black Hills Community Bank and a past Board member and sustaining contributor to Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Black Hills. Courtney is also an avid sports fan and local supporter. He has recently collaborated with Riley Weselowski and other professional Rush hockey players to create the Black Hills Hockey Academy which hosts youth hockey camps in the area. Last, but most importantly, Courtney is father of three children and spends his time following their pursuits and spending time on the golf course and at the lake enjoying the Black Hills with his family.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- 65% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- South Dakota, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of South Dakota
- University of South Dakota School of Law, Vermillion, South Dakota
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1989
- University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts cum laude – 1986
Honors and Awards
- Claude W. Schutter Scholarship
- William F. Brady Scholarship
- Law School Foundation Scholarship
- American Jurisprudence Award, Professional Responsibility
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennington County Bar
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of South Dakota
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
Get Help Now
""Clayborne,Loos, and Sabers represented me in a car wreck. They were always prompt when ever I had a question. Very professional in everything they did in dealing with the legal aspects of my case. I strongly recommend this firm to anyone that needs legal assistance. I was always kept up to date on the progress of the case If you need legal assistance please give them a call."
Wayne & Rita Nelson